Re: scripts that relies on $ROOTSYS

On 5/19/06, muzzle <muzzle@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm a user of the ROOT packages available at
http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/ (btw thanks to the
maintainers). I recently had to work with a lot of scripts and
makefiles that  relied heavily on ROOTSYS being set.

Fortunately I could edit those scripts and hardcode the right
directories (/usr/bin /usr/include/root etc.) but  I wonder if there
is a sane way to cope with this scripts, short of creating a directory
with symlinks to all the relevant files (argh!) and point ROOTSYS
there.

Are these third-party scripts?  In the long run there is going to be a
large population of people having ROOT installed to proper FHS
locations in /usr/bin, /usr/include/root, etc. as soon as the Debian
packages get into the official archive.  (It won't be long now -
they've been uploaded to experimental and are waiting in the NEW
queue!)  So in this case the best solution is to suggest that the
script author fix his/her scripts and Makefiles to deal with the
situation, as otherwise they will rapidly become incompatible on a lot
of systems.

If they are instead locally written scripts but you just don't have
the time to fix them at the moment, your suggestion of creating a
symlink farm is probably the fastest solution.

regards,