Re: FORTRAN common blocks

Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:41:54PM +0000, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
>
>>I'm growing to hate fortran with a vengeance. And this is F95!
>
> I'm just curious, why?  I know it has a bad repuation, but don't have
> any 1st hand experience.  I was of the impression that f95 was much
> better; what problems remain?

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I've gotten used to C,Java,Perl etc., where
whitespace can be used to make the code quite human-readable.

I don't wish to start a flame war, but I really believe that new code
should _NEVER_ be written in fortran. Even well written (which
fortunately the engineering stuff I was working with is), it's a
nightmare to follow - blocks of capitals stream across the screen...

And, yes, I know that the identifier restrictions have been relaxed in
fortran 95, but of course older code doesn't have that. I'm also not
really sure of any advantage fortran has over C/C++ - it's only just got
pointers, for goodness' sake!

That said, if there are arguments for the use of fortran in new code
(that aren't to do with interfacing with BLAS/whatever), I'd be
interested to hear them - maybe I'm being narrow minded!

Rupert

P.S., Justin: Sorry for reposting, but I forgot to hit reply all.