Re: xml as a scientific data format

Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any good references that make clear and good
> arguments for representing long sets of scientific (floating point)

I think you need to give more description of what type and amount of
data for people to give suggestions.

 - How much data will you produce and at what rate?
 - Do you require compression and/or fast I/O?
 - How is the data to be structured?
 - Do you want on-file and in-memory structures to be similar?
 - Will the structure likely evolve over time?
 - What applications need to access it (eg, custom, proprietary)?

Depending on the answers, certainly, ROOT's file format and libraries
provide many useful I/O features.  http://root.cern.ch/ for more info.
Debian packages are available.

-Brett.