Re: arbitrary precision gfortran

arbitrary precision has been implemented -- in library form, not as a
compiler intrinsic.  the likely reasoning is that there is no
agreed-upon arbitrary precision standand (e.g. real*8 is an
implementation of the ieee floating point standard).  however, there
are libraries and modules (in a sense, an extension to the language)
that implement the arbitrary precision type.

http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/

regards,
mike