Re: arbitrary precision gfortran

No one has formatted fortran into arbitrary precision here?  Well i'll be darned.  Well thanks a bunch.  Is it because real*8 has been acceptable or some other reason?

On 16 Dec 2005 13:12:25 -0000, Euclid Uranium <euclid@miskatonic.edu> wrote:
> > Is there a simple way of implementing arbitary precision in gnu fortran
> > compilation?  I got rather confused about what could be easily done and what
> > cannot be easily done researching it myself.  So any feedback would be
> > great.
>
> You mean like having pi to any desired number of digits?  As far as I
> know, there is no intrinsic support for this in any FORTRAN (or C, for
> that matter) compiler.

Don't do it!!!

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1302963

pi is believed to be a normal number, ie containing all finite digit
sequences. Computer files are as you know just finite sequences of
numbers.

The longer you calculate pi, the more likely you are to generate
child-porn, copyright-infringing, DMCA-violating, or
scientology-provoking files!