Re: RFS: gcx - astronomical image processing and photometry

On 12/14/05, Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Hi Radu!!
>
> I want to see this happen; unfortunately I'm still in the early NM
> queue, so cannot (yet!) sponsor your uploads.  I've read the .diff,
> and I'm going to critique your packaging, hoping to make it trivial
> for someone to sponsor.
>
> Some will critique your inclusion of the ./debian/ directory in the
> upstream source.  Personally, I'm okay with it; and it probably helps
> reduce the overhead of the project.

Well, i definitely want to keep the debian dir in the cvs source tree.
i have it in the upstream source because my procedure is to do a make
dist in the upstream, then copy the tar to .orig, detar it and just
run dpkg-buildpackage and pbuilder.

I can of course remove it from there if it's objectionable.

> But, why is there a .diff then?  Just to avoid making another gcx
> release, from which nonDebian users won't benefit?  (This is one of
> the primary objections of people to including ./debian/ in an upstream
> tarball).

There shouldnt be one - i must have forgot to update the .orig on the
last package build after changing the docs makefile.in ;-).

> ./docs/Makefile.in:
> Since you are the upstream author, you should not have to patch this
> file.  Instead, it should be made sufficiently general to work for
> Debian users and nonDebian users.

That's how it's supposed to be - see above.

> Indeed, the only other changes in your .diff are from autotools.
> Personally, I find that a readable .diff is more important than the
> goal of including the new config.{sub,guess} from autotools-dev in the
> .diff.  So, (if you like), you could *remove* those 2 files in the
> ./debian/rules:clean target, and cp or ln them before building.
> Removing is okay, because dpkg-source ignores removals, assuming you
> know what you are doing; this makes the .diff much smaller.

i'll try to see what i can do about this.

> (The following files are included in the 'upstream' tarball):
> ./debian/compat:
> You might consider bumping this to '5', and build-dep on debhelper
> (>=5.0.0); the only problem is that it complicates backporting to
> sarge.

well, as it stands now, the source package builds on woody and sarge.
besides, the woody build is the only one that has installed cleanly on
all eight or so machines i tried it on, so backporting is important
for me.

> gcx.doc-base:
> Its probably best not to include the phrase "This is the" as the
> opening abstract phrase.  I'm probably being overly picky, though..

i was copying from the debtools example - don't particularly like it
either, but though that how most entries should sound. it's gone ;-).

> You can (and should) remove the template maintscripts (prerm preinst
> postrm postinst), since the debhelper tools will add the relevent
> snippets in the correct way, even without templates.  If you needed
> specialized maintscripts, then you would keep them, and the
> #DEBHELPER# token.

ok.

> ./debian/copyright:
> Pertti Paakkonen <firstname.lastname_at_joensuu_dot_fi>
> Is that actually somebody's address?  :)

;-)

> ./debian/control:
> application, and it is unlikely that another nonextra package will
> Depend on gcx.  Reference: policy 2.5.

ok

> ./debian/rules:
> You could remove some comments here, and dh_installman doesn't
> presently do anything.

ok.

> Please consider adding a copyright statement to ./debian/copyright and
> ./debian/rules to the effect of "Debian packaging is copyright (C)
> 2005 by Radu Corlan, and is released under the GNPL, which may be
> found in ...".

ok.

> Please also consider adding a "watch" file, using
> qa.debian.org/watch/sf.php.
> (See http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/12/msg00035.html for
> more info about this hack).
>
> Please note that I'm being critical here; this package looks fine.  I
> really, really hope that someone will sponsor it!  Though I don't
> presently use gcx, I have tested it, and would recommend it to anyone
> doing observational astronomy under Linux.  Documentation, in
> particular, is excellent.

Thanks for the comments - we all want to make perfect packages here ;-).

Radu