Re: RFS: gcx - astronomical image processing and photometry

Hi Radu!!

I want to see this happen; unfortunately I'm still in the early NM
queue, so cannot (yet!) sponsor your uploads.  I've read the .diff,
and I'm going to critique your packaging, hoping to make it trivial
for someone to sponsor.

Some will critique your inclusion of the ./debian/ directory in the
upstream source.  Personally, I'm okay with it; and it probably helps
reduce the overhead of the project.

But, why is there a .diff then?  Just to avoid making another gcx
release, from which nonDebian users won't benefit?  (This is one of
the primary objections of people to including ./debian/ in an upstream
tarball).

./docs/Makefile.in:
Since you are the upstream author, you should not have to patch this
file.  Instead, it should be made sufficiently general to work for
Debian users and nonDebian users.

Indeed, the only other changes in your .diff are from autotools.
Personally, I find that a readable .diff is more important than the
goal of including the new config.{sub,guess} from autotools-dev in the
.diff.  So, (if you like), you could *remove* those 2 files in the
./debian/rules:clean target, and cp or ln them before building.
Removing is okay, because dpkg-source ignores removals, assuming you
know what you are doing; this makes the .diff much smaller.

(The following files are included in the 'upstream' tarball):
./debian/compat:
You might consider bumping this to '5', and build-dep on debhelper
(>=5.0.0); the only problem is that it complicates backporting to
sarge.

gcx.doc-base:
Its probably best not to include the phrase "This is the" as the
opening abstract phrase.  I'm probably being overly picky, though..

You can (and should) remove the template maintscripts (prerm preinst
postrm postinst), since the debhelper tools will add the relevent
snippets in the correct way, even without templates.  If you needed
specialized maintscripts, then you would keep them, and the
#DEBHELPER# token.

./debian/copyright:
Pertti Paakkonen <firstname.lastname_at_joensuu_dot_fi>
Is that actually somebody's address?  :)

./debian/control:
application, and it is unlikely that another nonextra package will
Depend on gcx.  Reference: policy 2.5.

./debian/rules:
You could remove some comments here, and dh_installman doesn't
presently do anything.

Please consider adding a copyright statement to ./debian/copyright and
./debian/rules to the effect of "Debian packaging is copyright (C)
2005 by Radu Corlan, and is released under the GNU GPL, which may be
found in ...".

Please also consider adding a "watch" file, using
qa.debian.org/watch/sf.php.
(See http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2005/12/msg00035.html for
more info about this hack).

Please note that I'm being critical here; this package looks fine.  I
really, really hope that someone will sponsor it!  Though I don't
presently use gcx, I have tested it, and would recommend it to anyone
doing observational astronomy under Linux.  Documentation, in
particular, is excellent.

Cheers from Reynolds Observatory, where I'm presently taking data on
"Bernhard 02".

Clear skies,
Justin