Re: Tool for symbolic integration/derivation ?

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 11:42:14AM -0500, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> They're all geared towards somewhat different ends, so you might want
> to play with several and see what works best for your project.  In
> particular, be advised that only some of them have decent support for
> symbolic integration -- namely, axiom, maxima, and yacas (though ginac
> and mathomatic also handle easy cases).

I have been very impressed with Maxima and Axiom.  I also own Maple 9.5.
If you are looking for something easy with lots of friendly
documentation and examples for students, I highly recommend Maple.  I
have tried trials of Mathematica also, and I think Mathematica would be
better if you needed to do big number arithmetic; I froze Maple when
computing 2^24036583-1, but Mathematica was fine.

Maple offers a CD with versions for Windows, Linux, and Mac and has a
license that allows a student to continue to use it after she graduates.
Mathematica has a download for Linux or Windows or Mac and prohibits the
use of student editions after full-time student status ends.

I am trying to use free software now, however, since it will be
available on more computers where I might want to use it.  I think you
can't go very wrong with Maxima, Axiom, or Yacas.

Good luck.
--
Steven Wheelwright
sjwheel@gmail.com