Re: The problem with gnuplot

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:58:28PM +0200, Thomas Walter wrote:
> Where is a copyright break when I install from source using configure
> options of my best choice, in this case for example 'libreadline' and
> its best friend 'libhistory'.

There is no copyright break, unless you distribute those binaries.  You
can use them for your own needs, no problem.

> By the way, from my point of view: For software in this categorie
> (science, heavy math oriented) it is best to install always from
> source to profit from best optimizations for underlying hardware. F.e.
> just think about 'atlas' and 'fftw'.

gnuplot does not really benefit from highly optimized atlas libraries,
neither do most other applications.  There are optimized atlas libraries
around for various CPU types, so I do not think your assertion that it
is best to install from source holds in general.  It might be
advantegeous in some corner cases, of course.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer