RE: some useful tools

Hello!

I also used rubber in past for LaTeX compilation, but there is 'texi2dvi',
which is part of most TeX distributions. It's easy to use and I do not know
why it is so "hidden" It seems that there is quite some redundancy for this
task, since I once also found an 'lc' command man page, where lc stands for
LaTeX compiler. If one does not like LaTeX, LyX <http://www.lyx.org> might be
a very good replacement or at least neat intro into TeX world. And it does not
crash every 5 minutes as MS Word. This is really evident with long files, such
as thesis or similar.

When talking about LaTeX and science I would really like to point to Sweave
<http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/>, which is part of R and provides
very powerfull combination of LaTeX and R in one file. This is based on Noweb
ideology. You just take LaTeX file and add some code "chunks" like on bellow
and after your process file (.Rnw) with Sweave you get LaTeX file with results
and figures linked.

some text in \LaTeX, some text in \LaTeX, some text in \LaTeX

<<example, echo=true, results=verbatim, fig=true>>=
tmp <- rnorm(n = 100)
tmp1 <- mean(tmp)
print(tmp1)
hist(tmp)
@

some text in \LaTeX with mixture of some results i.e. \Sexpr{tmp1}

Again one can use LyX in Noweb mode with R to get Sweave power to
LyX. If you are writting reports, thesis, papers, presentations with LaTeX
Sweave can help you a lot. Actually, LaTeX driver is default, but one can
also get HTML via R2HTML R package.

with regards, Gregor