Re: slib and Schemes

Hi Göran,

On 09/13/20 19:27 pm, Göran Weinholt wrote:

> The description in the slib package says that it supports Chez. I'm
> half-guessing that it refers to the old closed source Chez 7.x. Is there
> anything we should do in the chezscheme package to support slib, or is it
> all in slib itself?

It doesn't work at the moment, but only because of hard-coded /usr/local
paths in the slib init script:

> (load "/usr/share/slib/chez.init")
Exception in load: failed for /usr/local/lib/slib/require.scm: no such file or directory
Type (debug) to enter the debugger.

Manually setting SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH (and CHEZ_IMPLEMENTATION_PATH)
works. This can be fixed easily in the slib package, I'll make a BTS
entry.

> And another question. Which implementations have you verified that the
> slib package already works with?

I verified the latest release with scm, mit-scheme, and guile. Guile and
MIT need to have slib loaded once as root in order to generate the
catalogue file (there's a bug for this already). As I mentioned before I
think the solution is to generate the catalogue for each Scheme
implementation using a trigger in the slib package, but I haven't
started working on this yet. Do you think that's a good idea?

I tried a few other Schemes in Debian just now:

Racket => /usr/share/slib/mzscheme.init:307:6: if: missing an "else" expression
Gambit => *** ERROR -- Ill-formed special form: syntax-error
Scheme48 => syntax-violation: definition in expression context [define]
Elk => or: unbound variable: getenv

So not very successful. I'll make bugs in the BTS for these too.

--
Thanks,
Nick