Re: Bester installation image missing virtio net Modulen

On 27.04.21 09:22, Philipp Kern wrote:
On 26.04.21 10:52, Benjamin Zimmermann wrote:
  $ sudo virt-install [...] --extra-args 'console=ttysclp0 [...]

I do see the 'steal_ctty failure' otherwise.

I'd be cool if someone from IBM could actually go and fix [1] in some
form or another. Valentin tried[2] to do that in the kernel and got told
off. Maybe the answer is to bring this to linux-390 but I don't actually
know.

I think we did not tell him to go away. It was just that the patch itself
has some downsides in that it can break existing howtos (that do contain
console=tty0).

We could revisit the initial patch (I think we also need to change
arch/s390/kernel/setup.c set_preferred_console) and then
we would need to test all possible combinations on LPAR, KVM, z/VM
and see if we could fixup existing documentation.

Would Valentin be willing to provide a new version that also touches
setup.c?

Or, as an alternative we could revisit Valentins initial patch for the
installer.

I think technically what we want is "just" for /proc/consoles to do the
right thing or have a way to map console name to tty name.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=961056
[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/5/19/854