Re: Change Network Interface Name in Debian 8 s390

On 22.12.2015 20:19, Raphael Philipe wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wanted to change the network interface name without using a custom
> udev rule like 70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> To do that, In Debian 8, I created a network interface hardware config
> file (/etc/sysconfig/hardware/config-ccw-0.0.xxxx) with the following
> content:
>
> CCWGROUP_CHANS=(0.0.xxxx 0.0.xxxy 0.0.xxxz)
> QETH_PORTNAME=OSAPORT
> QETH_PORTNO=0
> QETH_OPTIONS=(layer2)
> INTERFACE_NAME=ethfoo
>
> The interface is created and up properly. However the name of the
> interface remains enccw0.0.xxxx
>
> Am I doing it right?
>
> obs.: xxxx stands for the device number of my network interface.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could take a look at this.
>
> Best regards,
> Raphael Philipe Mendes da Silva.

I have no Debian 8/jessie running presently. The following worked for me
on testing. Source
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.link.html

1. Write a file /etc/systemd/network/10-ethfoo.link with the following
content:
[Match]
MACAddress=nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn

[Link]
Name=ethfoo

2. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and replace enccw0.0.xxxx with ethfoo

3. Reboot

I didn't try out other matching mechanisms than the MAC address, but you
are welcome to do that and post your results.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards
   Viktor Mihajlovski

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Köderitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen