Re: Debian-390 / Hercules Problems

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:56:29 -0500 (EST), David Clements wrote:

>>Hi. I am working with the Hercules team, testing qeth connectivity both >>layer2 and layer3 and experiencing a couple of problems.

>>My initial setup was to install debian using a ctc, and then try some qeth >>tests. I tried a netinst install and several mirror sites, in several countries, >>and every mirror site fails. I looked at /var/log/syslog as it tried the >>mirrors and tried the wget command used by the installer, on my host >>system and could find stable, unstable, etc. on each mirror.

>>I then tried to install using a full cd1 and had a successful install.

>>After a successful install I tried to work with the qeth device, and found >>lsqeth and znetconf are missing, I tried to update s390-tools with apt-get >>and it says s390-tools is at the latest release. I pulled s390-tools-1.17.0 >>from the IBM Developerwork website installed the zconf part of the >>package and continued with my testing.

>>I have just noticed in the /var/log/installer/status file a comment that the >>s390-tools-udeb package included in the install only contains binaries for >>dasdfmt and fdasd. I have searched for znetconf in all releases and can >>find no trace in any debian package.

>>Any ideas?

>>Dave Clements.

>I have used ctc under Hercules and qeth in a virtual machine under z/VM,
>but I have never used qeth under Hercules.  The standard Debian package for
>Hercules, 3.07, does not support an Open Systems Adapter Express in QDIO
>mode, so that's the end of that.

>I've never tried to use znetconf.  For that matter, I've never tried to use
>lsqeth either.  But it does seem to be included in the standard s390-tools
>package under Debian.  Here is some output from my system:

># whereis lsqeth
>lsqeth: /sbin/lsqeth /usr/share/man/man8/lsqeth.8.gz

>By the way, I'd be interested to hear your opinion of my "Debian Under Hercules"
>web page at http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/hercules.htm

.

I'm using hercules 4.0, this version supports qeth layer2, I have debian wheezy running with qeth and I'm currently testing layer3 qeth.

What version of debian-390 are you using, the current stable that I have installed, only contains a minimal s390-tools package and I have yet to find a full debian s390-tools package.