Re: Adding DASD to Debian wheezy..

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:46:37 -0400 (EDT), Dave Jones wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I have installed the latest version of Wheezy here and it is running
> very well; good job developers. I now want to add a new DASD drive and
> have it come on-line automatically at boot time....what is the approved
> "Debian way" of doing this? Will I have to do a  mkinitrd and zipl as I
> do for RedHat or SuSE?
>
> Thanks and have a good weekend.

Hi Dave.  Wheezy uses sysconfig-hardware for this.  To have the DASD
come online automatically, follow a procedure similar to the one below.
Do this as root.

   cd /etc/sysconfig/hardware
   touch config-ccw-0.0.0204
   update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)

The above example assumes that the device number to be added is 0204.
Change this as appropriate for your system.

There are some bug reports against sysconfig-hardware that you might
want to take a look at.  They haven't been fixed, but the bug reports
show how to fix them.

   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?dist=unstable;package=sysconfig-hardware

You might also find some of my web pages available on my web site
useful:

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/index.htm

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell