Re: [Linux/390 under z/VM 4.2.0] CP works forever (Lenny): details

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 02:39:15PM +0700, Christian Boitet wrote:
> Actually, as ftp on this VM did not work, we did the operation on
> another VM and copied (using COPYFILE) the 4 files obtained to the
> VM (LINUX7 in our installation) on which we want to install
> Debian/Lenny, and on which we did the necessary transformation of
> DEBIAN EXEC and PARMFILE DEBIAN.

Where did you get the files from?  Double-checking as you didn't state it and
Stephen's talking about newer locations with s390x-only kernels.

FWIW the current dailys are at [0] but this won't help you because they're
s390x-only.

> We followed exactly the instructions indicated in the Debian
> installation documentation. I copy them below, with a few comments.
>
> We had to convert the PARMFILE DEBIAN back from ebcdic into ascii F
> 80, I did it under Xedit and checked the correctness by visulizing
> the Hex form, it was OK, including for the EOL character (X'2A').

As far as I know Linux can cope with the PARMFILE being in EBCDIC.  I had no
trouble editing the preseed information in it verbatim in XEDIT, at least.
5.1.2 on [1] confirms this.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

[0] http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/s390/daily/
[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/s390/ch05s01.html.en
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager