Re: [Linux/390 under z/VM 4.2.0] CP works forever (Lenny)

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 09:16:13 -0400 (EDT), Stephen Powell wrote:
> I will explain the installation steps in detail.
> Maybe there's something you're missing.

One more thing I forgot to mention.  I'm not sure if the kernel boot messages
are written to the virtual 3215 console or if they're written to the Service
Console Logical Processor (SCLP) internal console and re-routed to the 3215
virtual console by CP.  I suspect the latter is the case, since that method
would work in both a virtual machine and in an LPAR.  (In an LPAR, the
corresponding output device is the "Operating System Messages" icon on the
Hardware Management Console (HMC) or the Support Element (SE).  If that is
the case, then your release of z/VM must have support for virtualizing the
SCLP interface.  See if CP supports a VINPUT command (HELP CP VINPUT).
If it does, then you should be OK.  If it doesn't, they you might be in trouble.
I know for sure that zipl requires a virtualized SCLP interface by CP.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :