Re: IBM z/VM + z/Series + Debian

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 02:09:40 -0400 (EDT), anandhcoe wrote:

> Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I had set up an anonymous ftp for
> the installation and yet the problem prevails.The error msg below is shown.
>
>    "The specified Debian archive mirror is either not available, or does
>     not have a valid Release file on it. Please try a different mirror. "
>
> Are there any release files or repository file needed for this and in the
> image which i have download i cant find any release file or something like
> that.
>
> Could you please help on the issue and let me know if there is any other
> link where i can download the Debain Linux full version with the release
> files..

The installation instructions don't contain much detail on this step.
Here is what it says:

-----

3.6.4. Setting up an installation server

If you don't have a connection to the Internet (either directly or via
a web proxy) you need to create a local installation server that can
be accessed from your S/390.  This server keeps all the packages you
want to install and must make them available using NFS, HTTP or FTP.

The installation server needs to copy the exact directory structure
from any Debian GNU/Linux mirror, but only the s390 and
architecture-independent files are required. You can also copy the
contents of all installation CDs into such a directory tree.

-----

As I said in my previous post, I have no experience installing Debian from
a private mirror.  I have never used a private mirror because I have never
needed to use a private mirror.  At my installation, the virtual Linux servers
on z/VM have access to the external internet.  Therefore, I can use a public
mirror for installation.  Therefore, I do.

If due to your installation policy the virtual Linux servers are not allowed
to access a public mirror then you must create a private mirror and install
from that.  Instructions for creating a private mirror can be found here:

   http://www.debian.org/mirrors/ftpmirror

If you need help creating a private mirror, ask for help on the debian-mirrors
mailing list (debian-mirrors@lists.debian.org).

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :