Re: Atlas: Help with s390 ASM

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:39:31AM +0100, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Atlas is an auto-optimized library. At the beginning of the script,
> atlas launch a script to check what is the CPU architecture, the
> optimisation available, etc.

Which different optimizations are available for s390?

But you remind me for something: I wanted to raise the minimum CPU
requirement to z900.

> One of the first check is the CPU. It is done in ASM.

Why does it need to be done in assembler?

> For example, the code for x86 is:
> --------
>         movl    4(%esp), %eax
>         movl    %eax, %ecx
>         shl     $1, %eax
>         addl    %ecx, %eax

This code does nothing really usefull except for the stack access, why
is it written in assembler at all? But this does not in any way help
with detecting the CPU type.

> I would like to know if someone could translate that for me to s390 ?

Why does this tool not have a common implementation in a common language
like C to start with?

Bastian

--
Beam me up, Scotty!