Re: problem with locale setting

On 2009-12-21, IsMo CoNgUaIrTa wrote:
> I have installed debian lenny on z/VM 5.3. I have a problem to set right
> locale (it_IT.UTF-8).
> Nothing happening after a `dpk-reconfigure locales`.
>
> This is the output of command:
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure locales
> Generating locales (this might take a while)...
>     it_IT.UTF-8... done
> Generation complete.
>

> Everythings seems ok but the output of `locale` is the following:
>
> # locale
> LANG=C
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=

First of all, you haven't said on what device you were logged in
when you issued the command.  I recommend using a remote SSH client
to login to a linux for s390 server.  From a Windows desktop, I use
PuTTY as my remote SSH client.  It is free software and is available
from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ .  Don't use
the virtual machine's 3215 console for anything unless you have to.
Many commands assume the presence of a full-screen terminal, one which
supports ANSI escape sequences.  The 3215 driver provides only a
primitive teletype line-mode interface.  By default, dpkg-reconfigure
requires a device that supports ncurses.  I am assuming that that is
what you did but you left those details out.

Here is what happens when I run "dpkg-reconfigure locales"
on lenny for s390 from a PuTTY session:

----------

Package configuration

 ┌──────────────────────────┤ Configuring locales ├──────────────────────────┐
 │ Locales are a framework to switch between multiple languages and allow    │
 │ users to use their language, country, characters, collation order, etc.   │
 │                                                                           │
 │ Please choose which locales to generate. UTF-8 locales should be chosen   │
 │ by default, particularly for new installations. Other character sets may  │
 │ be useful for backwards compatibility with older systems and software.    │
 │                                                                           │
 │ Locales to be generated:                                                  │
 │                                                                           │
 │    [ ] All locales                                                        │
 │    [ ] aa_DJ ISO-8859-1                                                   │
 │    [ ] aa_DJ.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] aa_ER UTF-8                                                    ▒   │
 │    [ ] aa_ER@saaho UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] aa_ET UTF-8                                                    ▒   │
 │    [ ] af_ZA ISO-8859-1                                               ▒   │
 │    [ ] af_ZA.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] am_ET UTF-8                                                    ▒   │
 │    [ ] an_ES ISO-8859-15                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] an_ES.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] ar_AE ISO-8859-6                                               ▒   │
 │    [ ] ar_AE.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] ar_BH ISO-8859-6                                                   │
 │                                                                           │
 │                                                                           │
 │                    <Ok>                        <Cancel>                   │
 │                                                                           │
 └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

----------

I then scroll down to the three US English ones, using the "Page Down" key on
the keyboard, at which point the screen looks like this:

----------

Package configuration

 ┌──────────────────────────┤ Configuring locales ├──────────────────────────┐
 │ Locales are a framework to switch between multiple languages and allow    │
 │ users to use their language, country, characters, collation order, etc.   │
 │                                                                           │
 │ Please choose which locales to generate. UTF-8 locales should be chosen   │
 │ by default, particularly for new installations. Other character sets may  │
 │ be useful for backwards compatibility with older systems and software.    │
 │                                                                           │
 │ Locales to be generated:                                                  │
 │                                                                           │
 │    [ ] en_PH ISO-8859-1                                                   │
 │    [ ] en_PH.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] en_SG ISO-8859-1                                               ▒   │
 │    [ ] en_SG.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [*] en_US ISO-8859-1                                                   │
 │    [*] en_US.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15                                  ▒   │
 │    [*] en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] en_ZA ISO-8859-1                                               ▒   │
 │    [ ] en_ZA.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] en_ZW ISO-8859-1                                               ▒   │
 │    [ ] en_ZW.UTF-8 UTF-8                                              ▒   │
 │    [ ] eo ISO-8859-3                                                  ▒   │
 │    [ ] eo.UTF-8 UTF-8                                                 ▒   │
 │    [ ] es_AR ISO-8859-1                                                   │
 │                                                                           │
 │                                                                           │
 │                    <Ok>                        <Cancel>                   │
 │                                                                           │
 └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

----------

Make sure that the three US English locales are selected.  Use the up and
down arrow keys to move the cursor to the desired locale, then select (or
deselect) a locale with the space bar.  When finished, use the Tab key to
move the cursor to the <OK> field and press Enter.

At that point, another screen is displayed which looks like this:

----------

Package configuration

 ┌──────────────────────────┤ Configuring locales ├──────────────────────────┐
 │ Many packages in Debian use locales to display text in the correct        │
 │ language for the user. You can choose a default locale for the system     │
 │ from the generated locales.                                               │
 │                                                                           │
 │ This will select the default language for the entire system. If this      │
 │ system is a multi-user system where not all users are able to speak the   │
 │ default language, they will experience difficulties.                      │
 │                                                                           │
 │ Default locale for the system environment:                                │
 │                                                                           │
 │                             None                                          │
 │                             en_US                                         │
 │                             en_US.ISO-8859-15                             │
 │                             en_US.UTF-8                                   │
 │                                                                           │
 │                                                                           │
 │                    <Ok>                        <Cancel>                   │
 │                                                                           │
 └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

----------

Make sure that you select a default locale on this screen.  Do not select
"None".  I believe that the installation default is en_US.UTF-8.  I changed
mine after installation to en_US.  Use the up and down arrow keys to make
a selection, then use the Tab key to move the cursor to the <OK> field.
Press Enter again.  At this point, your terminal reverts to line mode and
the following messages are generated:

----------

odocdeb1:~# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  en_US.ISO-8859-15... done
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
odocdeb1:~#

----------

At this point, the locale command with no operands generates the
following output:

odocdeb1:~# locale
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=
odocdeb1:~#

Keep in mind that PuTTY itself (the remote SSH client) has configuration
options too (under Window -> Translation).  You need to make the client
and server agree on the character encoding for things to look right.
I have PuTTY set to ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe).

Having said all that, I don't see a problem with your output.  I think
C is the default locale.

On 2009-12-21, IsMo CoNgUaIrTa wrote:
> I have noticed that command `loadkeys` produces this error:
>
> # loadkeys
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
>
> In my inittab there is only one uncommented line, referring to console:
>
> # grep -n tty inittab
> 59: T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 linux
>
> What is wrong?
>
> Thank for all

Now there is where our outputs differ.  "loadkeys" is part of the
console-tools or kbd packages, and I don't have either of those
packages installed.  The Debian installer doesn't install either of
those packages by default -- not for the s390 architecture.  You must
have done something to install them.  You're asking what is wrong.
I'm not sure that anything is wrong.  The real question is, what is it
that you are trying to accomplish?