problem with locale setting

Hello guys,
I have installed debian lenny on z/VM 5.3. I have a problem to set right locale (it_IT.UTF-8).
Nothing happening after a `dpk-reconfigure locales`.

This is the output of command:

# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
   it_IT.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.

Everythings seems ok but the output of `locale` is the following:

# locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

I have noticed that command `loadkeys` produces this error:

# loadkeys
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

In my inittab there is only one uncommented line, referring to console:

# grep -n tty inittab
59: T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 linux

What is wrong?

Thank for all