Re: Future of the s390 port

On Oct 10, 2009, at 1:00 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

Adam Thornton wrote:
Does the .ins file specify load addresses?

Yes, it does.
See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-s390/2009/09/msg00027.html

The short version I would suggest is "see how SuSE does it" and do that.

Right, so who has a *recent* SuSE CD he/she can disect? I personally don't
feel like registering with Novell just for this.

Main questions are:
- what does the .ins file they use look like?
- what kind of initrd do they use: initramfs or "oldfashioned" initrd?
- if oldfashioned, then what filesystem do they use?
- if initramfs, then how do they manage to boot it?
- what is the kernel config they use in their installer?

I've had CD boot working with an ext2 initrd and I suspect that would still work (and testing that would be fairly straightforward). But the Debian kernels have all moved away from that. So we really want to find out how
to boot from CD using an initramfs initrd.

If we can't I'd have to try to convince Bastian to compile ext2 into the
s390 kernels again.

I have a recentish (SLES 10, not SLES 11) SuSE image I can get to fairly easily, I think. I think their initrds were old-style, though.

I'll see what I can do with the rest of the weekend.

Adam