Re: Problem on Instalation of Debian Lenny

>> Well, I trying install Debian Lenny on System z behavior z/VM.
>> The first attempt was: I downloaded the essentials files from the
>> official mirror ftp server
>> (ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-s390/current/im
>>ages/generic/) but, the message "[17179570.468526] Kernel panic - not
>> syncing: Attempted to kill init!" was displayed and the installation
>> stop.
>
> With the stable point release that's now available from the mirrors, s390
> should be installable again for Lenny.
>
> Note that new CD images with the fixed version will only become available
> sometime in the next few days.
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

Hmm.  These are the same symptoms as Debian bug report number 523942.
Does that mean that stock kernel image linux-image-2.6.26-2-s390
version 2.6.26-19 will work for me?  I've been continuing to build a
custom kernel with make-kpkg every time there's an update to the kernel
as my only circumvention.  Don't ask me why the version created by
make-kpkg works but the stock kernel image doesn't work, but that's how
I've been circumventing the problem.  I'd really like to get back to
a stock kernel if I can.