Re: Future of the s390 port

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 03:39:10PM -0500, Adam Thornton wrote:
> A Multiprise H50 or H70 would fit your needs, maybe....it's about
> that size, probably pretty cheap on the used market, could run
> z/VM 4.4.  It is, however, 31-bit only.  There is nothing at all
> 64-bit yet that fits the bill.

How thorough is the 31-bit Linux support, and does it take the same
userspace binaries as 64-bit? (Feel free to RTFM me--didn't see what
I was looking for online, but then again I'm not entirely certain I
grok some of the platform specifics I was reading about either.)

> All real z boxes are basically 2 rack cabinets' worth of stuff and
> don't have internal disk.
[...]

Right--those are the same size as the ones I helped manage MVS and
USS on some years back. Definitely not something I have room or
electrical/cooling for, not to mention budget (think we paid around
US$5M for that sysplex at the time).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);