Re: Future of the s390 port

On Aug 31, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Michael Casadevall wrote:

I think a bigger question is where do you find hardware where you can
get remote root on; I'm not very familiar with s390 or mainframes in
general, but its not a piece of hardware one individual person would
own. I'm aware of the Hercules emulator, but that doesn't seem like it
would be useful for general development of a port.

The Debian project has access to a couple of machines hosted by OSDL, or at least it used to (I haven't actually checked the status recently). These are older machines (z800?) but still 64-bit.

The death of Flex-ES and the lack of a P/390, Integrated Server, or even H50/H70 equivalent for zSeries has left a hole in the market for lower-end developers (not just in the Debian or even Linux space). Hercules is actually pretty useful except in that it doesn't emulate a lot of modern peripheral hardware, particularly the QDIO OSA interfaces and the Fibre Channel interfaces which are a fact of life on modern z boxes.

Adam