Re: s390x vs. s390

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 09:29:20AM +0100, Torsten Werner wrote:
> one of our buildd reports s390x instead of s390 for 'uname -m'. Am I
> correct that both architectures have a 32 bit userland and not 64 bit?

Yes. The correct way to determine the debian architecture is
dpkg-architecture, not uname.

> Please Cc: Knut and me in your answer because we are not subscribed to
> the mailing list.

Please use the Mail-Followup-To header to request that.

>                                                               From what
> I can tell, 's390x' seems to be the id of 64-bit linux for S/390.

It is the architecture string of the Linux kernel on s/390,zSeries,System Z in
64 bit mode.

Bastian

--
Intuition, however illogical, is recognized as a command prerogative.
		-- Kirk, "Obsession", stardate 3620.7