Re: z/VM 5.3 SSL Server using Debian GNU/Linux

On Oct 31, 2008, at 9:32 AM, zlinuxman@wowway.com wrote:

Well, I guess this is a moot point anyway, since my method requires installing
sarge, and sarge is no longer installable.

To be fair, it wouldn't be that hard to build an SSL server that was Etch-based.

However....

The black-box SSL packages that IBM ships are delivered as RPMs, and it was just a lot less effort to build on a version of CentOS that directly supported them than to mess around with it for 5.3.

To make matters worse, the fixes to it that have been released since 5.3 are 64-bit only, which is sort of a pain since the SSL server I put together for 5.3 was Centos-4.4-31-bit-based. I haven't had the time to update to a 64-bit build.

I have confirmed that z/VM 5.4.0 no longer requires a virtual Linux server
to run the SSL server (SSLSERV virtual machine).
The SSL server under z/VM 5.4.0 runs under CMS, with some help from the
Byte File System and OpenExtensions.

...and isn't actually available yet.

Adam