Debian installation media question.

I am new to Linux and Debian.  I would like to download Debian S/390 for installation on a
z890 processor.  I have set up an LPAR for this purpose.  I will not be using z/VM.

I want to know if I can download Debian S/390, burn a CD and do most of the installation from the CD
on the OS/2 system that supports the HMC?  I see from the site that "Support to ipl off an installation CD has
been added back in the version of the installer that will be released with Etch".

Without "Etch" I am not clear on how much of Debian I can install from a CD (the installer or the boot loader).
Do you know when "Etch" will be available?  Sounds like I may need it.

Could someone clarify this part of the Debian install process on the S/390?

Thank you.

Ted Keesey
Synoran
Systems 390 Administrator