Re: Can you expand the boot ramdisk filesystem?

Hi,

Does anyone know what version of qeth to use with DEBIAN 3.0rev2 "woody"??

The installation report I am using as a guide is
http://lists.debian.org/debian-s390/2001/10/msg00002.html
it points to a source (you get rerouted, but it works)
for the object modules is
http://www10.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux390/index.shtml
I am having difficulty determining which OCO modules to use,
I have tried the -7 and -2 versions, both get a unresolved symbol message
on the qeth insmod
(qdio installs fine) command.
With an IPL from tape it does NOT work (I am not sure why) to have a second
filesystem,
so I the technic used here works fairly well.
What I used to create the new ramdisk (since the first one is full) was
cd /mnt
mkdir ramdisk2
cd /tmp
dd if=/dev/zero of=newfs bs=1k count=4096
mke2fs -F newfs
mount -o loop /tmp/newfs /mnt/ramdisk2
cd /mnt/ramdisk
cp -dpRx  .  /mnt/ramdisk2

Then copy the qeth and qdio modules in the directories as specified except
use ramdisk2 instead of ramdisk, and
remove 2.4.7/kernel/     from the path specifications.

umount /mnt/ramdisk2
gzip -S .bin -9 /tmp/newfs

Next I ftp the /tmp/newfs.bin into a file on our Z/OS system (blocked
1024),
and write it out as the 3rd NL file on the tape (F 1024 1024).

If I get it figured out I will get you better instructions.

                      ed.lew@donovandat
                      a.com                    To:       scpeckham@cmsenergy.com
                                               cc:       debian-s390@lists.debian.org
                      06/09/2004 11:55         Subject:  Can you expand the boot ramdisk filesystem?
                      AM

Where can I find the installation report for DEBIAN S390 and where can I
get the qeth/qdio modules ?
Thanks.

Hi,

I am a Linux novice.
I found an installation report for DEBIAN S390 and am trying to duplicate
the process.
Basically you get the ram-disk, mount it, insert the oco qeth/qdio modules,
and recompress it.
I got the Debian install root mounted, but get an out-of-space error
when trying to put the oco modules in.
?root@CPU3 netâ# df
/dev/dasda1            2366248    971656   1274392  43% /
/tmp/root                  3360             3360         0            100%
/mnt/ramdisk
?root@CPU3 netâ#

So, is there any way to expand (give it more blocks)
 the uncompressed filesystem?

Just to give you an idea of where I am with this, I installed
the Marist system and upgraded it to 2.2.16 to get this far.
I am running them in LPARs (not VM). I have escon ctc,
and OSA QDIO connections. I am trying to get a QDIO
connection to the DEBIAN install at this point.
(I am also trying to get the FTP (guest works fine) server
on the Marist system to work, which would also allow
the Debian install to proceed).

Thanks,
Steven.