Re: library packages

* Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> [030713 07:11]:
> On Saturday 12 July 2003 20:11, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> > The only problem with this is that other packages previously depended on
> > 'libc6' assuming that they could have /usr/bin/locale... which would no
> > longer be true since that will be stored in libc6-utils.
> >
> > Any thoughts on this?
>
> The easiest way to solve this is to make lib{,64}c6 both depend
> on libc6-utils libc6-data and make lib{,64}c6-dev depend on
> lib{,64}c6-headers.

Right.

> Practically no package should have an explicit dependency on 'libc6',
> instead they use the generated dependencies on the correct library
> as created by dpkg-shlibdeps, we just have to make sure that this
> will pull in all the necessary files.

That makes sense.

I was particularly concerned with the -headers name... I don't think
there is another package like this... Anyway, I take it that you agree
with the proposed partitioning of the libc package.

Unless there are any objections, I will work on this after my dpkg
extensions (sometime next week).

Cheers,
Bart.

--