Re: zipl Questions

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 02:20:47PM -0400, Rod Clayton wrote:
>
> > I have a Debian Woody system installed using VCTC for connectivity.
> >
> > I have an LCS device and a CLAW device that I would like to try adding.
> >
> > I don't remember using zipl in the original Debian install. I would like
> > to find out what the current zipl parms are, and be able to add the new
> > addresses for these devices for testing.
> >
> > How do I to that ?
>
> Read /etc/zipl.conf; normally it will look something like this:
>
> [defaultboot]
> default=debian

<snip>

Be mindfull of the fact that sometime along the line the
dasd api changed. I can't say that Debian has this issue,
but i have had problems backing out a kernel upgrade with
redhat. The problem i ran up against was the newer kernel
did not like the old /sbin/zipl... a staticly linked zipl
that you can wget from somewhere, from a installer ramdisk
can be mighty handy;)

If you are building from the same kernel sources, you should
be ok. But if you are doing that, why not just build modules?
Maybe not as much fun, but alot safer.

.karl
--
Karl Schlitt