Re: debian woody on Z800 help

On Friday 11 April 2003 01:32, Doug Griswold wrote:
> Hey guys don't bash me to hard but I am having problems installing
> Debian on z800.  Here's my situation, I can't seem to find any decent
> documentation on installing debian for os/390 and our os/390 folks
> aren't the real experimental type at all.  I tried to install debian
> from the hardware console today and it didn't even try to install,
> should I be able to initiate and install from the hardware console like
> the red hat 7.2 os/390 install?  We are trying to install it in an lpar
> without vm and we are using the osa 2 fast ethernet adapter.  Could one
> or all of you give me some good documentation on installing debian on a
> z800?  I don't know enough about the hardware console and lpars to
> really have a grasp on the steps needed to get debian up and running.
> Red hat seems to be straight forward as far as getting it to load from
> the hardware console other than the osa drivers, but for $18,000 dollars
> it should be.  If it is possible to load debian from the console from
> disk 1 of the debian iso's then maybe I had a bad disk so I have burned
> another one just in case. Really all I need is some help and to the
> point of partitioning and I should be able to handle it from there.

Booting from the CD is supposed to work as long as no OCO modules are needed.
You seem to need the qeth module. This means that you have to build a so
called second ramdisk first, see
http://www.trustsec.de/deb390/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=5
for details. You should put the kernel, parmfile, first ramdisk from the CD
and second ramdisk just built to a ftp server, copy the .ins file from the CD
to the ftp server and add the name of the second ramdisk to the .ins file.
You can then boot from this ftp server specifying the location where the
files reside.

Regards,
Gerhard