Re: Mysterious broadcast

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:42:14AM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> Thanks for the response, but I think you missed my point.
>
> My debian/linux system should not be broadcasting anything!
> With or without an incorrect netmask!

I think you missed my point.  "broadcast" is a concept which is _defined_ by
the netmask.  I am not guessing that this is the problem, but it is an
example of how a misconfiguration could cause such behaviour.

> My turbolinux system does not do this and the config is exactly
> the same, except for ip address.

There is absolutely no way for me to divine the problem without seeing the
packets, or at least the complete packet headers, and information about your
network structure.

--
 - mdz