Re: Mysterious broadcast

Matt;

Thanks for the response, but I think you missed my point.

My debian/linux system should not be broadcasting anything!
With or without an incorrect netmask!

My turbolinux system does not do this and the config is exactly
the same, except for ip address.

Thanks,
Dennis

                    Matt Zimmerman
                    <mdz@debian.or       To:     debian-s390@lists.debian.org
                    g>                   cc:
                    Sent by: Matt        Subject:     Re: Mysterious broadcast
                    Zimmerman
                    <mdz@alcor.net

                    01/09/03 09:04
                    AM

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:08:51AM -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> My console log is filled with messages like the following:
>
>     10.80.20.103 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.
>     10.80.20.104 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.
>     10.80.20.6 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.
>
> Does this mean that my l/390 is broadcasting? If so, how do I stop that?
> Not the error, the broadcasting.

Use a packet sniffing tool such as tcpdump on the Linux system and find out
the exact nature of the packets being sent; then you can try to determine
their origin.  It may be a network misconfiguration such as an incorrect
netmask or such.

--
 - mdz