update-alternatives broken?

On my s390 system in Hercules, update-alternatives fails for every package
which uses it:

Setting up less (358-8) ...
update-alternatives: slave link name /usr/share/man/man1/pager.1.gz
duplicated
dpkg: error processing less (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up telnet (0.17-15.0.1) ...
update-alternatives: slave link name /usr/share/man/man1/telnet.1.gz
duplicated
dpkg: error processing telnet (--configure):
[...]
Setting up g++ (2.95.4-6) ...
update-alternatives: slave link name /usr/share/man/man1/c++.1.gz duplicated
dpkg: error processing g++ (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up gcc (2.95.4-6) ...
update-alternatives: slave link name /usr/share/man/man1/cc.1.gz duplicated
dpkg: error processing gcc (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2

All of the invocations appear to be correct (a similar error in all of these
packages would be quite unlikely), and update-alternatives isn't doing
anything ridiculous that I can see, so maybe this is a Perl bug of some
sort?

dpkg           1.9.17
perl           5.6.1-5

--