Re: S/390 woody status

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 03:55:23PM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
>   + We might integrate this script with boot-floppies but there is currently
>     not much in common. S/390 machines only have a 3270 console which does
>     not support ncurses or slang, so the whole boot-floppies GUI will not
>     work there. Also, there's no need to configure the keyboard and no
>     support for DASD (disk) partitions.
>     I have commited some patches to the boot-floppies CVS but this is not
>     working yet. One possible solution might be to set up networking using
>     our script and then start telnetd or sshd so the second part of the
>     installation can be done remotely using dbootstrap.

I suggest writing a openbsd-like installer. This would make the install
independant of an other unix-system. The current installer will never
work on 3270.

>   + The installation script has been successfully tested on 5 different
>     systems, both under VM and in an LPAR.

> goal. We'll see how well the installation with boot-floppies works -- if it
> does not, we'll package our script instead.

Woody for s390 would be really great. Because the stuff is getting
really stable now, and it will be a very long time untill sid will be
released. Perhaps 3 years from now on.