Re: [richard.higson@gt.owl.de: Re: Re: source NMU]

Richard Higson <richard.higson@gt.owl.de> wrote:
>On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:00:30PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:46:34AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>> > Also, Chu-yeon Park has a S/390 and is willing to give out accounts.
>> > However, not before the end of June.
>>
>> I have used the Caiman distribution in Hercules a bit, and it seems to show a
>> great deal of progress toward an integrated Debian port.
>
>I'll second that: I have a dual PIII/800 at work, where Caiman/Hercules
>is coming along very well.

I've just installed Caiman under Hercules (P3-450), and am deeply
impressed that it works at all. The only wart so far seems to be that rm
reliably segfaults just after unlinking, which is odd - seems like an
ideal excuse to experiment with building fileutils, though.

(Still chrooted from the installation system - what's the quickest way
to make the freshly installed system bootable?)

>I'm in the process of proof-reading/correcting Chu-yeon's "Installation
>Guide", so that it will sound "more like what a native-speaker would
>have written" ;-)

Please - I was never a mainframer, so I'm relying completely on good
documentation. :)

>In the mean time, Gerhard (now) has an account through which he can upload
>his newly compiled .debs to (your choice of ftp: http: rsync:)
>//source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/s390-ibm-linux/debian-390/
>
>This site is a debian full mirror (aka ftp2.de.debian.org),
>and is run by myself and flo@debian.org
>try `rsync source.rfc822.org::` to see what we have.

Out of interest, why isn't the binary-s390 tree on auric being used for
this? At the moment it only seems to contain essential/required and a
few other bits of the base system - no glibc, even. If I can get
packages building under Hercules, can I help with uploading things
there, or is the Debian port tree not being used for some reason?

Cheers,