[richard.higson@gt.owl.de: Re: Re: source NMU]

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 00:17:59 +0200
From: Richard Higson <richard.higson@gt.owl.de>
To: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Re: source NMU

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:00:30PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:00:30 -0400
> From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
> To: debian-s390@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Re: source NMU
> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:46:34AM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > Gerhard currently cannot run an autobuilder on S/390 either.  He built his
> > packages under Hercules so far.  However, he is trying to get access to a
> > S/390 system.
> I see.
> > Also, Chu-yeon Park has a S/390 and is willing to give out accounts.
> > However, not before the end of June.
> I have used the Caiman distribution in Hercules a bit, and it seems to show a
> great deal of progress toward an integrated Debian port.
I'll second that: I have a dual PIII/800 at work, where Caiman/Hercules
is coming along very well.
I'm in the process of proof-reading/correcting Chu-yeon's "Installation Guide",
so that it will sound "more like what a native-speaker would have written" ;-)
I'm very impressed with the work Chu-yeon has been doing.
It seems that my documentation skills are better than my
"wannabe-debian-s390-developer" skills ;-)
> > Another possibility might also be IBM's Community Sysem
> Yes, that seems like a good place for such development.  I've been checking
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/lcds/index.html
> periodically, but it looks like I wasn't fast enough.  The first 100 users seem
> to have signed up very quickly, and they are fine-tuning things based on their
> feedback.
I got in on time, and intend to set up a debian chroot environment, so that
we could get an autobuilder fired up.
It's a standard SuSE-s390 2.2.16
There's not a whole lot of room: /rom and /opt are readonly, to share common code.

/dev/dasda1             488172    125040    337936  27% /
/dev/dasdb1            2365528   2242312      3052 100% /rom
/dev/dasdc1             244076    206104     25376  89% /opt

In the mean time, Gerhard (now) has an account through which he can upload
his newly compiled .debs to (your choice of ftp: http: rsync:)
//source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/s390-ibm-linux/debian-390/

This site is a debian full mirror (aka ftp2.de.debian.org),
and is run by myself and flo@debian.org
try `rsync source.rfc822.org::` to see what we have.

It's good to see that things are rolling along again.
Richard
--
Unix:        Your gun, Your bullet, Your foot, Your choice.
M$-CE/ME/NT: Same as Unix, BUT: No choice, and We Aim Higher.