Re: allow missing description fields and empty long descriptions for Rust/etc packages?

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues <josch@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Gard Spreemann (2023-09-20 09:26:58)
>> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>> > […] since the Rust packages are basically only used as build-deps and
>> > therefore have no human users.
>> I just wanted to raise awareness that some of us humans do use librust-*-dev
>> packages directly, having put cargo in permanent offline mode and having
>> swapped out its cargo.io package source for Debian's packages on the local
>> filesystem.
>
> do you have more details on how you achieve this?
>
> I'm using Debian's rust packages instead of creates.io using this wrapper
> script to cargo:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/josch/nocrates.io/-/blob/master/cargowrapper.sh
>
> How do you do it?

My ~/.cargo/config.toml reads:

 [net]
 offline = true

 [source]

 [source.crates-io]
 replace-with = "debian"

 [source.debian]
 directory = "/usr/share/cargo/registry"

This works really well in my case.

As far as smooth solutions for opting in to crates.io in particular
circumstances, I and others have collected some notes on [1]. But in
reality I get very far with the above Cargo config + manually adding the
odd crate (or crate version) when it's not available in Debian.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/q/69802360/453616

 Best,
 Gard