I am not able to type in Russian

My computer is running Debian (Woody) with XFCE, Sylpheed for e-mail,
and Galeon for web browsing.  I installed KOI8 fonts, and now Galeon
correctly displays Cyrillic text inthe Debian-Russian mailing list
archive.

I am able to select KOI8 fonts in Sylpheed.  But, I am not able to
type cyrillic alphabet.  I installed the xruskb package (and removed
the xkb package), and I believe that xruskb contains the keyboard maps
that I need.  I do not understand the instructions included in the
xruskb package.

Would someone please tell me how to switch between English and Russian
keyboard maps?

Thanks,
Harold Crouch
harold.cmh.net