Re: I am not able to type in Russian

> I am able to select KOI8 fonts in Sylpheed.  But, I am not able to
> type cyrillic alphabet.  I installed the xruskb package (and removed
> the xkb package), and I believe that xruskb contains the keyboard maps
> that I need.  I do not understand the instructions included in the
> xruskb package.

Am I understand you right that you can switch, but cannot type? And typing
on the
keyboard produces no result other than beeps? After switching back to
english
typing works fine? In such a case you have to set correct locale by command.

export LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R

You also must have russian locale generated. Edit /etc/locale.gen, then
generate locales with locale-gen. I reccomend setting locale somewhere
in init-scripts before loading X. Good luck.