Re: partitioning HD

Hi!

--- Alexey Korotkov <ziga@udm.ru> wrote:
> Alexei Khlebnikov <khlebnikov@scnsoft.com> wrote:
> > á ÍÎÅ ÐÌÚ ÒÁÓÓËÁÖÉÔÅ ËÔÏ-ÎÉÂÕÄØ, ÎÁ ËÁËÏÅ ÍÁËÓÉÍÁÌØÎÏÅ ÞÉÓÌÏ ÒÁÚÄÅÌÏ× ÍÏÖÎÏ
> > ÒÁÚÂÉÔØ ÄÉÓË É ËÁË ÜÔÏ ÓÄÅÌÁÔØ? fdisk? éÌÉ ÅÓÔØ ×ÁÒÉÁÎÔÙ ÐÏÌÕÞÛÅ?
>
> óËÏÌØËÏ ÕÇÏÄÎÏ ;-) (ÐÏÞÔÉ). åÓÔØ, É ÍÎÏÇÏ.

Standard : 4 primary or 3 primary + 1 extended with max 4 logical
Other splitting methods could prevent other OS (Win) from booting.

> > ñ ×ÓÅÇÄÁ ÄÕÍÁÌ ÞÔÏ primary ÒÁÚÄÅÌÏ× (×ËÌÀÞÁÑ extended partition) ÍÏÖÅÔ ÂÙÔØ
> ÎÅ
> > ÂÏÌÅÅ 4, Ô.Ë. ÂÏÌØÛÅ ÎÅ ÐÏÍÅÓÔÉÔÓÑ × ÔÁÂÌÉÃÕ ÒÁÚÄÅÌÏ× MBR. üÔÏ ÐÒÁ×ÄÁ ÉÌÉ
> > ×ÒÅÍÅÎÁ ÐÏÍÅÎÑÌÉÓØ?
>
> üÔÏ É ÐÒÁ×ÄÁ, É ÎÅÔ. íÏÖÎÏ ÉÍÅÔØ ÂÏÌØÛÅ primary part., ÎÏ ÉÓÐÏÌØÚÕÑ
> ÓÏÏÔ×ÅÔÓÔ×ÕÀÝÉÊ ÓÏÆÔ, ËÏÔÏÒÙÊ ÐÏÚ×ÏÌÉÔ:

Again this would be IMHO _too_ non-standard so could create you some extra
problems.

> > íÏÖÅÔ ÌÉ ÂÙÔØ ÂÏÌÅÅ 1 extended partition? (ÄÕÍÁÀ, ÎÅÔ)
> ðÏÈÏÖÅ, ÐÒÁ×ÉÌØÎÏ ÄÕÍÁÅÔÅ, ÎÏ ÔÏÞÎÏ ÎÅ ÓËÁÖÕ.

DOS limitations are still in place but some strange logical volumes were
implemented in Win98. Do you have plenty of time to spend? So you could try if
Linux VFAT driver is able to work with them!

> > íÏÖÎÏ ÌÉ ÓÏÚÄÁÔØ ÂÏÌÅÅ 4 ÒÁÚÄÅÌÏ× × extended partition Ó ÐÏÍÏÝØÀ ÐÒÏÇÉ
> > PartitionMagic? åÓÌÉ ÎÅÔ, ÐÅÒÅ×ÁÒÉÔ ÌÉ ÏÎÁ ÕÖÅ ËÅÍ-ÔÏ ÓÏÚÄÁÎÎÙÅ ÔÁÍ
> ÒÁÚÄÅÌÙ, ÅÓÌÉ ÉÈ ÂÏÌÅÅ 4?

Depend on its version. version 4.x I was using recently could not create FAT32
partition.

If I remember UNIX principals correctly (filesystem standards) it always based
on using many separate disks instead of many partitions on the same drive. This
is because of perfomance issue and data safety in case of disk crashed.

(Want the same text in Russian? Mail me and wait till I am at home).