Cyrillic letters in X applications

Hi,

learning russian at the moment, my knowlege of this difficult but interesting language is not enough to bring forward my question in russian nor to understand any russian answers. I hope this is OK for you although this is a russian list.

To learn vocabulary I use MS-Excel at the moment. I write the german words in one column and the corresponding russian term in the next column. To check the vocabulary I enter the russian terms in the third column once again while the second is hidden. In the forth column there is a comparison-statment ("=B2=C2" in cell D2) that tells me wether the entered word is correct.

Now I would like to do the same using Linux and Gnumeric or perhaps StarOffice but I don't know how to input cyrillic letter in these applications or in Linux in general.

Is it possible to switch between different keyboard-layouts (like in Windows with "ALT-SHIFT") in X?

Please help me - You would help me to get rid of Windows!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

- Konrad

P.S.: Please don't answer in russian as I won't understand it.