Re: RFS emails missing the actual intent of the request

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 02:47:14AM +0530, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Thanks for all your work in the past weeks but all (or at least most)
> of your emails are missing an important aspect of the RFS mail: the
> main intent behind the work. For instance, you say package X is
> updated and is lintian clean so here's an RFS, but WHY was this
> package X updated in the first place is something that's missing in
> your emails. I really suggest adding them as it's very important.
>
> We don't generally update libraries just because there's a new version
> available so having that reason behind your RFS mail would actually
> help in understanding the ultimate goal of updating the package.

We don't? That's news to me. :)

IMO we should always update everything to the latest version available,
unless there is a good reason not to do so (causes too much breakage,
disruptive update etc). Not keeping up with upstream releases creates
problems _for us_.