Re: ruby:Depends and epoch in rails

On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 02:13:11AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This issue [1] is open for a while, but since lintian now recommends using
> ruby:Depends we are seeing this issue in more cases (since even packages
> that were not using ruby:Depends now starts using it).
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/mdb571/ruby-paranoia/-/commit/15cc5c584e24bdfe91332709966b2f19188b36c5
>

> We should probably fix it soon or at least warn about it in the lintian
> message recommending ruby:Depends.

You can work around this by adding ruby:Depends, but still specifying
some dependencies -- like the rails one -- explicitly; dpkg will resolve
the duplicated ones and normalize.

> Also should we really set the upper limit in ruby:Depends?

gem2deb just translates dependencies specified in the gem metadata. It
doesn't even add << by itself when the dependencies use the ~>
operator.

> Thanks
> Praveen
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=792489

The last commit in gem2deb should fix this, can you test in a package
where this issue would still apply? The one mentioned in the bug seems
to be gone.