Re: RFC: Revoke membership for janitor bot

Am Freitag, dem 01.10.2021 um 15:34 +0530 schrieb Pirate Praveen:
> On 1 October 2021 7:30:23 am IST, Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > most of you know that janitor/jenkins is committing to our repositories
> > directly. However, I recently saw that it starts to commit changes
> > targetted at
> > buid-dependencies purely based on the fact that lintian might complain, and
> > it
> > also raises the standards version. IMHO these are tasks that only the
> > maintainer should do. I have serious doubts about raising the debhelper
> > version
> > automatically because it changes debhelper's behavior (and can change
> > package
> > contents or maintainer script behavior) and it also raises the requirements
> > which are then no longer been fulfilled by oldstable (has debhelper 12). I
> > don't want the debhelper level to be raised automatically because I'm still
> > trying to support buster-backports and I like having to do as few changes
> > as
> > possible to prepare backports. So it is a conscious decision to stay with
> > debhelper 12 in some of my packages at the moment.
>
> I think janitor checks if the deb contents changed using diffoscope. I think
> this is useful activity and helps us in not bothering to spend time on
> routine tasks.

I am ok with most changes. But this goes too far. There is no benefit in
automatically raising the debhelper compatibility version. We are not (yet) in
a situation where debhelper 12 becomes obsolete. I also doubt that raising the
standards version automatically is ok. This is usually something that requires
checking for compatbility with this version. Otherwise this field becomes
useless.

> > I suggest to remove the commit access for janitor. According to #debian-qa
> > the
> > tool should then create merge requests instead of committing changes
> > directly.
> > I took the liberty to downgrade the bot's role to "reporter" for the
> > moment.
>
> It just adds extra work for us.

It would just mean that janitor creates merge requests. That allows to review
the changes and apply them with just one click. Compared to constantly
reverting its changes this seems less extra work to me.

>  How many packages you are interested to keep in buster-backports ?

The whole jekyll environment. I think these are ~3 dozen packages, maybe a few
more.

Regards, Daniel
--
Regards,