Re: RFS: ruby-ruby-dep

Hi Kiran,

I reviewed your package. Some notes:

Am Samstag, den 04.04.2020, 22:32 +0000 schrieb kiran@disroot.org:
> I prepared the packaging of ruby-ruby-dep. It is lintian clean and tested
> with sbuild. Further
> information about this package can be accessed from the URL :
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/hacksk-guest/ruby-ruby-dep
>
> also like to add it to:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/ruby-ruby-dep
>
> Consider to review and upload it.

About the packaging:

We now prefer to package the source tarballs from github (either from the tags
or the relaeses site), because they usually contain tests. I'd really like to
have the tests in this case for one simple reason: This gem is fairly old. The
newest ruby version in lib/ruby_dep/ruby_version.rb is 2.3.1. We are version
2.7 by default now. I wonder how useful this package is and if it works with
Ruby 2.7. I'd therefor suggest to re-add the source from a github tarball and
add debian/ruby-tests.rake (dh-make-ruby will create this automatically too).

The debian/upstream/metadata file contains the Name and Contact fields. These
are obsolete there. They should be put into debian/copyright as Upstream-Name
and Upstream-Contact fields.

Also the debian/.gitattributes file is missing. It prevents several files from
being exported into the final Debian source package. Please run dh-ruby-make.
It will create it, then commit and push it.

I'd like to know more about the first issue. And I'd like to see the tests
succeed with the current ruby version. I'm therefor inclined to upload this
package to NEW.

I wonder: Is there actually a package (ITP or RFP) which requires this package?

PS:
https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/mentors/ruby-ruby-dep (forked from yours)

Regards, Daniel