Re: RFS: ruby-aws-sdk

On ശ, Jan 11, 2020 at 19:53, David Suárez <david.sephirot@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Any update here?

Utkarsh was looking at the upstream ci and possibility of fixing the upstream tests. But I have uploaded it now.

So now, we have two broken packages:

 - ruby-aws-sdk (experimental version): broken to enduser who wants to
try/play with the new version (unstable haves v1)

It is still in experimental because I did not want to upload to unstable without testing.

 - gitlab: end users of gitlab that want to use AWS functionality in
gitlab.

By the way, the provided updated version pass all the tests.

Thanks for testing and fixing it.

For what we see in the upstream CI (I dunno why debian packaging have to
wait for a upstream CI instead of Debian CI ones):

Because we have not been able to run tests in debian package. If you (or anyone) can help fix the autopkgtest, that would be good. Using upstream CI is a work around till we fix the debian autopkgtest.

On 6/1/20 20:25, Pirate Praveen wrote:

>  https://gitlab.com/utkarsh2102/gitlab/-/jobs/396211773

> This could be a simple fix in tests and not a real failure. But it'd
be good to fix the tests

Tests for version 2.11.422-1 passed (it have fails but seems that the
tests on gitlab are broken not aws-sdk itself).

Thanks for the confirmation. We wanted to confirm this before the update. We need to not only check if the package itself is working, but API changes and removing deprecated stuff can also break gitlab (or in general any library update).

Seeing this, I don't see the point on waiting for this upload. The
experimental version packaging is broken, giving giltab aws features
unusable.

Waiting was only to see if we can fix the upstream ci to confirm the breakage was not caused by aws-sdk update.

If debian gitlab maintainers wants to keep gitlab working with the new
version, they should patch the test battery to disable this breaked
tests, instead of watiting for upstream to fix them. We are packaging
for users, not for gitlab people, I guess...

As I said before, using upstream ci is a work around till we fix our autopkgtest (and any help in changing that situation is welcome).

Saying this, and noting that the experimental packaging is done by
you.
Why you uploaded the new version, that is totally broken ?

Because it is experimental and not unstable. We are allowed to upload packages we are not sure about yet in experimental, so that more people can test, like you did. And it is not first time in history of debian we see a package is broken. The usual course is to report a bug with appropriate severity and in this case, it won't be part of any release automatically.

The same care that are giving to gitlab, have to be done with they
reverse depends. Not ?

Only reverse dependncy on ruby-aws-sdk is gitlab.