Re: RFS: ruby-aws-sdk

On ബു, Jan 8, 2020 at 10:00, Matijs van Zuijlen <matijs@matijs.net> wrote:
On 07/01/2020 20:49, Pirate Praveen wrote:

On ബു, Jan 8, 2020 at 01:16, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org>
 wrote:
 ruby-aws-sdk 2 -> 3 is huge change.

 It adds 220 new dependencies for example.

 https://rubygems.org/gems/aws-sdk-resources

gitlab should probably only depend on the bits it uses.

Yes, it is already requested to update to ruby-aws-sdk v3. https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/issues/37931

What I'm opposed to is assuming a major update don't break things without actually testing reverse dependencies. And some people portraying time to test compatibility as blocking progress. Was any update indefinitely blocked by gitlab maintainers till now?

If we start doing the same with all the gitlab dependncies (upload major versions without testing reverse dependencies), that will not be pretty for the team. And it is totally demotivating to show gitlab package only as a blocker without considering the huge amount of work we do to maintain a lot of libraries (not just ruby, but even core build tools like webpack. and rollup for node). We updated rails to version 5 even when gitlab was not ready for rails 5 and in that process got gitlab removed from testing and backports.