Re: ${ruby:Depends}

Am Samstag, den 03.10.2020, 23:23 +0200 schrieb Cédric Boutillier:
> Dear Team members,
>
> I had a couple of questions about packaging workflow, which are maybe
> naive. Hopefully, answers will be useful for others too!
> I am sending them as separate emails.
>

> 1. exact role of ${ruby:Depends}
>
> I kind of understand from the dh_ruby manpage that ${ruby:Depends} is
> supposed to fill in the Depends: field for the binary package, using
> information from the gemspec. It is nice.

I actually would like to see this handle ruby-foo packages using epochs too
like ruby-activesupport (or does it handle this already and I missed it?).

It would also be nice if it could handle packages as weel with don't use the
ruby-foo naming scheme like jekyll.

> I was wondering if we, as a team, would consider as a guideline to try
> to replace the hardcoded dependency by ${ruby:Depends} (as dh_make_ruby
> -w does) when updating a package.

I actually did that in every package I touched if the dependencies allowed it
(see above).

Regards, Daniel
--
Regards,
Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> | https://www.wgdd.de/

If you like my work consider sponsoring me via
https://www.patreon.com/join/dleidert